• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36235 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:17 AM

Fred Cheng Sings Out a "Star's Dream"
Monday July 8, 2013 Hong Kong
Source: Mingpao
Translated by: aZnangel @ http://asianuniverse.net

Posted Image Posted Image

Fred Cheng finally rises to popularity after his excellent singing performance on Voice of Stars. The story of Fred's ten years of hard work in the entertainment industry has caught a lot of attention from Netizens. Fred participated in the TVB International Chinese New Talent Singing Championship in 2001 and won three awards at the age of 17. He later became a TVB actor and after many years in the company, he only got minor roles -- frequently portraying a student or the main character's younger brother. He has participated in over 40 series over the years, but hadn't really gained any fame. On Voice of Stars, Fred frankly expressed after this show, he hopes people will be able to recognize him and know he is "Fred Cheng". Aside from the positive feedback from the judges, Fred also gained support from Netizens. A new Facebook page "Fred Cheng I Recognize You" was created for him.

Yesterday Fred accepted [Mingpao] interview and expressed when he watched the episode last night, he was still feeling nervous and emotional. He palms were sweating and tears formed in his eyes. Fred expressed the response from the show was much better than he expected. Online, he saw a lot of encouraging and supportive comments and discovered his new Facebook page that fans created for him. He laughed, usually when he goes out, the neighbors can't say his name, they just thought he looked familiar and saw him somewhere on TV. Yesterday when he was at Tsim Sha Tsui, he had a different feeling, many people greeted him and called him "Fred Cheng". People on the street told him to "add oil", allowing Fred to feel how enthusiastic Hong Kong people can be. This was the first time he had this feeling in 10 years.

Fred is not sure whether Voice of Stars will bring him more job opportunities, but he knows he must enjoy this moment because he will never know when he will get eliminated on the show. He will just have to try his best on every performance. Fred feels calm now and constantly reminds himself to not go too over. The next round is based on the theme of classic songs, Fred chose Alan Tam's The Origin of Love and has been practicing on it in the past few days.

It has been widely rumored Voice of Stars had an internal list of contestants. Fred's manager expressed the rumor is unfair to Fred. He is very passionate about music and participated in this competition because he wanted a second chance. Fred's manager hopes the public won't think too much and make things so complicated.

#2 UniversalSR

UniversalSR

Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6932 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

Hope Fred be able to make it on top, he is a talented guy

Wasnt he touted as a rising stars years ago, he must have offended a certain someone at TVB

#3 ~Akane~

~Akane~

Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6116 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

I have noticed Fred since Forensic Heroes as Yoyo Mung's younger brother. Go Fred!

#4 Kim4ever

Kim4ever

✰★ 咸濕婆 ★✰

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14224 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

He could get a record deal after this.Posted Image

#5 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 4702 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

Yay!! So happy for Fred!! He's finally getting the recognition he deserved years ago! To me, whether he ends up winning or not doesn't matter (cuz I'm pretty sure he's probably not going to win given the format of the show and how TVB loves to 'rig' all their contests) -- he's getting the recognition now (through his own talents) that he was never able to achieve being a 4th/5th line actor at TVB, which is way more important in the scheme of things than some meaningless 'reward' from TVB (oh and getting to be a guest performer at Eric Moo's concert is an added bonus of course!).

#6 tamaya

tamaya

Asian Fanatic

• AF supporter
  • 4990 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

Actually I thought Fred was just ok with his singing in the 1st episode, not as marvelous as touted but that just me. But glad that he got recognition for his singing and invited to sing in Moo's concert.

#7 BoscoHeart

BoscoHeart

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

to me, his most memorable character was in love bond, when he played Bernice's younger brother.

so to fred cheng: I ALREADY RECOGNIZE YOU A LONG LONG TIME BEFORE.

#8 The Yen Man

The Yen Man

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

I didn't realize the guy was a singer. I think the first time I saw him was on Shine On You as one of the students, and then on Love Bond as Kenix's brother and Oscar's buddy. Good for him. I watched the first episode of the Voice, and it was pretty clear who has singing potential, and who doesn't. He's the guy I'll be rooting for to go all the way and win.

#9 Coralie

Coralie

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2253 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:13 AM

When he sang that song 'Angel,' I cried.

Like legit bawling my eyes crying. I felt his pain and I felt the weight of the song.

I could feel his regret, his repentance, his faith in his grandpa and the remorse of not being able to say goodbye. It was so real and so beautiful.

I think it's a little weird though that they all sing English songs.

Like do HKers recognize and understand even half of these songs' lyrics and the meaning behind them? That's already like a big part of the performance - being able to feel the emotions behind the words.

I guess that's not all that big of a deal in the scheme of things though. A good singer can evoke emotions and tug at your heart strings even if you don't understand crap that they're talking about. Korean songs are a good demonstration of that (for me anyways lol.)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hong kong, fred cheng

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users