AF needs funding again

- - - - -

Why RMVB files?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 02:06 PM

Does anyone know why all the chinese TV series stuff are in RMVB files instead of the usual Xvid/Divx?? Most of the tv capturing tutorial (well english ones) that I have seen talks about Xvid or Divx... why use RMVB in HK then? Kinda of piss me off when I can't use my DVD player that can play divx to enjoy chinese series.

#2 _avextrax

_avextrax

SHOOTO!

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 04:19 PM

you can find the answer if you used the search function. It has been answered a few times..

rmvb is smaller, an 45 minutes is around 350 MB if you encode it with xvid..and the quality ain't that bad (if you get the DVD-RMVB versions)

#3 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 05:19 AM

Yup...file is smaller....quality is not very bad if you get DVD-RMVB.
RM/RMVB is very popular in Taiwan, China and Hong Kong.

#4 Decado76

Decado76

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 11:46 AM

Too bad a modified xbox with xmbc is the only option atm to play it back on your tv as standalone player. H

Hopefully in the future normal dvd players will built that in too like its with divx atm. rmvb rules though with its quality/compression ratio.

#5 neo

neo

Member +++++++++

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 06:39 PM

rmvb is smaller, but divx is more popular. i like divx better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

first of all i think rmvb is smaller and that make your download time shorter....and if you want divx and mpeg.....you can alway convert it using a software.....and i think that wont take long...and the quality of rmvb.....i think is better than the mpeg ones....so why not?? smaller file and good quality....

#6 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 03:07 AM

ya the quality of dvd-rmvb is definately better than mpeg1 (vcd).. and about 50% of the size... which is great for both download time and storage space~~

the major concern is that you cant directly play it in a dvd player... but my solution to this problem is connect a computer running Windows XP Media Center Edition, which you can operate with a remote just like a dvd player ;)

#7 marines

marines

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:23 AM

Too bad a modified xbox with xmbc is the only option atm to play it back on your tv as standalone player. H

Hopefully in the future normal dvd players will built that in too like its with divx atm. rmvb rules though with its quality/compression ratio.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you can build your own media PC and hook it up to your TV. but the xbox solution is simpler and cheaper.

#8 fort

fort

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 03:42 PM

all you people saying rmvb are smaller files, obviously! look at the quality! lower the quality = smaller files.

you look at most american tv eps get released, they are normally 350mb divx files for 45min eps but the quality is near dvd quality, which cannot be said even with DVD-RMVB files (vcd quality at best).
what im really trying to say is divx can be the same size as normal rmvb with the same quality if not better.

#9 Speedimension

Speedimension

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 12:47 AM

Is it just me or is RMVB format the most stupid thing ever made? I mean what was it's original purpose when you can't even use it to burn into a cd or dvd?? Its dumb. Why dont they put movies in formats that are already AVI or mpeg or whatever, instead of us wasting time converting it ourselves?

What do you guys think?

Edited by Speedimension, 20 March 2005 - 06:20 AM.

#10 Zyphere

Zyphere

~*Clarissa's Panda Jai <3

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 01:30 AM

The apparent benefit to .rmvb is its smaller file-size, which is good for people with a real shortage of disk space remaining.

A 40-minute episode of a series may be 400 MB in MPEG but only 200 in RMVB, with similar quality.

#11 madcowny

madcowny

Homicidal psycho jungle cat

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 01:43 AM

I think you'll find that a lot of people will find rmvb is the best thing ever for their purpose. Not everyone has a fat broadband connection to download big files. Also makes it easier for the releaser to distribute files.

#12 _avextrax

_avextrax

SHOOTO!

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 03:01 AM

it's not the worst thing ever, those rippers can do whatever they want..it's free and the quality ain't that bad.

#13 hiphophippo

hiphophippo

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 03:18 AM

not bad but it's a shame there's no dvd readers in the market that can read rmvbs.

#14 st0rm

st0rm

jedi master

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1007 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 03:30 AM

worst thing ever is kinda strong seeing how real media is supppose 2 be played on the comp and not the tv anyway

#15 Jon Lai

Jon Lai

for techies=> http://www.emvee.net

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 05:08 AM

.rmvb is defiantely used for its space. Not even DivX is smaller than rmvb in most cases, although Divx quality is definately better than rmvb up to a certain point. True, rmvb can't be burnt onto vcd/dvd, but neither can .avi, you still need to convert any video format to .mpg anyways. So it's not just .rmvb thats bad, then, according to you.

#16 mintyfresh

mintyfresh

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 11:36 PM

The downside with rmvb is definitely not being able to burn onto a cd and watch on the TV. Divx/Xvid is much more flexible with more and more dvd players coming onto the market that can play divx/xvid. I would definitly like to see more divx releases.

#17 Jon Lai

Jon Lai

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 03:47 AM

Dvix is definately more suitable for burning and watching on TV, especially with a DivX compatable DVD player, I've personally got myself a Philips one. However, rmvb is NOT unable to burn on a cd/dvd, you just need to convert. I'm clearing this up because it seems as though some people are confused about this.

#18 kamii

kamii

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:40 AM

Yea.....i finally got some rmvb files to convert!! Hallalua!! My god it was tough, but i didn't like doing stuff the manual way so i ended up just downloading winavi and used that to convert. There isn't really much loss of quality and it is superfast so its very convenient!

#19 Jon Lai

Jon Lai

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 11:16 PM

It depends on the original source, I find that WinAVI conversions loses quality from most sources, so TMPGENC is my best bet.

#20 cgt21

cgt21

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 06:53 AM

smaller and faster to download. In my opinion, it's the best format out there. If you have a xbox, you can mod it and it'll play it.

#21 xifon

xifon

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:57 AM

well... i guess it sux for ppl who want to watch rmvbs with their DVD players because they have to convert them first. However, for ppl who watch them on their PCs I think rmvb is a great format. Firstly, the quality is pretty good, from my perspective. Secondly, they take less space and time as compare to VCD(MPEG), even worst DVD(MPEG2).... :lol?:

Edited by xifon, 23 March 2005 - 08:58 AM.

#22 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:32 AM

RMVB format is in smaller file size, quality is acceptable (depend on bitrate used during encoding), easy for sharing
Cannot play with DVD player but can be play using XBox Media Centre...

#23 Soulless

Soulless

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:13 PM

If you have a modded xbox you can play rmvb on your tv with no problems. In fact it looks pretty good playing rmvb off an xbox. =P

#24 Jon Lai

Jon Lai

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:51 PM

In the same manner, you could hookup your TV to your computer and use your TV as a computer monitor, this way you don't need to convert and burn on dvd. This is the same as it would be on the XBOX, but the quality would be better generally, depending on your computer's graphics card.

#25 cubchai

cubchai

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 05:03 PM

In the same manner, you could hookup your TV to your computer and use your TV as a computer monitor, this way you don't need to convert and burn on dvd. This is the same as it would be on the XBOX, but the quality would be better generally, depending on your computer's graphics card.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, i think most of the graphics card today does have a tv output mode. this way saves time and $. no need convert and burn as vcd.

#26 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 10:34 PM

RMVB is smaller and on the xbox media center you can wacht on tv