AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

How to Extract voice, then convert to midi?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Lai

Jon Lai

for techies=> http://www.emvee.net

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 11:50 PM

Is there a comparably easy way to extract the voice part out of mp3 song files, then convert that to a midi file? The reason I'm doing this is to preferrably import it to Finale and make sheet musics. Thanks.

#2 ae86

ae86

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:21 AM

While I don't know how to convert to a midi, the easiest way that I can think of to extract the voice is to select the center channel. The voice will generally be the same in both the left and right channel and you can have a wave editor remove the differences between the two channels. That leaves only what is the same in both channels and is usually mostly the voice from teh song.

Any wav / music editing software should be able to do it. ie, Cool Edit, Cakewalk, Sound Forge etc

#3 Jon Lai

Jon Lai

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:36 PM

While I don't know how to convert to a midi, the easiest way that I can think of to extract the voice is to select the center channel.  The voice will generally be the same in both the left and right channel and you can have a wave editor remove the differences between the two channels.  That leaves only what is the same in both channels and is usually mostly the voice from teh song.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are there any general programs that could do this all in one?

#4 ae86

ae86

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 03:02 AM

I couldn't tell you. I've never converted a MP3 to midi before. I didn't even know it was possible to make a midi file with voice.

#5 Crayon Shin-chan

Crayon Shin-chan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 10:32 AM

Hi Jon Lai,

I've not been around for a long time... phew... ^_^'

I don't think it is possilbe to convert mp3 to midi. Both uses very different concept of of producing sound. mp3 stores music like data in a file and plays them.. but midi only stores the notes or the score of the song and uses the syntisizer(is that how you spell it?) chip on your sound card to generate sounds.

#6 Jon Lai

Jon Lai

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 07:43 PM

Hi Jon Lai,

I've not been around for a long time... phew...  ^_^'

I don't think it is possilbe to convert mp3 to midi.  Both uses very different concept of of producing sound.  mp3 stores music like data in a file and plays them.. but midi only stores the notes or the score of the song and uses the syntisizer(is that how you spell it?) chip on your sound card to generate sounds.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know that. I don't want the voice.. again, I DON'T want the voice. I simply want to convert the background music of songs from mp3 into NOTES for midi files.

#7 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:49 PM

Well, firstly to take the voice out you need something like Adobe Audition to invert left and right channels to cancel out the voice and extract a virtual 'centre channel', as ae86 mentioned.

Secondly, you cannot convert from mp3 to midi unless you enter the notes manually yourself after listening to the song. As yeach! mentioned, mp3 and midi are inherently different formats, and converting between the two automatically is impossible. It would be like trying to convert a Monet into vector art :loool:

#8 Jon Lai

Jon Lai

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 01:25 AM

Secondly, you cannot convert from mp3 to midi unless you enter the notes manually yourself after listening to the song. As yeach! mentioned, mp3 and midi are inherently different formats, and converting between the two automatically is impossible. It would be like trying to convert a Monet into vector art :loool:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know that they are completely different. But isn't something like this a perfect opportunity for developers to make a bridge for this?

I'm just wondering if there is anything that can help me convert the voiceless .mp3 file, which is bascially the "notes", to a .midi file where I can get a score for it.