A 30-year Harlem resident who suffers from incontinence has been evicted from his apartment by a New York City judge who said the stench of his urine jeopardized the safety of other tenants.
Civil Court Judge Sabrina Kraus in Manhattan said on Friday that while she had empathy for Michael Edmonds, the other tenants were entitled to live in a building that did not smell of urine or expose them to bio hazards in the common areas.
According to the court, not only did the smell of urine emanate from Edmonds' apartment, but he also sometimes urinated in public areas of the building, and was also fired from his job because of his incontinence.
Edmonds claimed he had suffered from the condition since 2011 and was seeing new doctors and taking medication, but Kraus said he appeared to be unable to handle the condition on his own. Furthermore, three cleanings by a city agency had been unable to get rid of the stench.
Edmonds did not have an attorney. His court-appointed guardian, Roger Moore, did not return a request for comment. Nor did a lawyer for the landlord.
Kraus based her decision in part on a 2007 ruling in which the Appellate Division, First Department, said that a woman who used a bucket to transport her urine to a communal bathroom 90 feet from her apartment had created a nuisance warranting her eviction.
The case is West 141 Street LP v. Michael Edmonds, New York City Civil Court, No. 80375-13.
For the landlord: Peter Rose of Rose & Rose.
For Edmonds: Pro se.
ORANGE BEACH, Ala. – Ruby Holt spent most of her 100 years on a farm in rural Tennessee, picking cotton and raising four children. She never had the time or money to go to a beach.
That changed this month, just a few weeks shy of Holt's 101st birthday.
Thanks to a partnership between the assisted living center where Holt lives and an organization that grants wishes to the elderly, Holt got to see the ocean for the first time during an all-expenses-paid trip to the Gulf of Mexico.
Holt laughed and grinned as cool Gulf waters hit her feet for the first time, and she walked across the white sand with the help of aides from the home.
She said she'd never seen anything as big as the ocean. But in the November chill she kept saying over and over: "It's cold."
"I've heard people talk about it and how wonderful it was and wanted to see it, but I never had the opportunity to do so," Holt said.
The trip was made possible by Brookdale Senior Living Solutions, where Holt lives in Columbia, Tennessee, and the Wish of a Lifetime organization.
Mark Davis, executive director of Brookdale's Sterling House, said two workers filled out the application for Holt after learning she'd never seen the ocean and wanted to go.
"They did a water gun fight out in the courtyard during the summer and water got brought up, the beach, and that's what she told the girls, that she had never been," he said.
Debbie Surgeon and Tracy Marcy helped fill out the application, and Holt's wish was granted in early November. The trip was planned as soon as possible because Holt turns 101 on Dec. 13.
"When we got to the room yesterday she was just pointing out the ocean and, you know, her facial expressions and ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)
Nov 11 2014
A 12-year-old boy who ran away after being told off by his mother was found by police six days later in IKEA.
Peng Yijian is said to have survived on free samples handed out by supermarkets while he was 'on the run' in Shanghai.
When police discovered him he was weak with hunger and had to be placed on an intravenous drip in hospital.
His mother Liu said her son had run away before, but never for so long.
Yijian was reported missing last Tuesday and officers spotted him on CCTV wandering around Shanghai South Railway Station.
The next day's footage showed him at a nearby Carrefour outlet.
"We thought there might be other places he likes to visit, so we asked his mother. She gave us eight or nine names, including Caoxi Park, Nanfang Shopping Mall, In Center and IKEA," said Sun Miao, a police officer in Xuhui District.
Officers were dispatched and the boy was spotted by a surveillance camera at the IKEA outlet on Caoxi Road.
After a 40-minute hunt, during which exit doors were blocked, police found Yijian near an escalator on the ground floor.
A stream of lava set a home on fire Monday in a rural Hawaii town that has been watching the slow-moving flow approach for months.
The molten rock hit the house just before noon, said Hawaii County Civil Defense Director Darryl Oliveira. The home's renters already had left the residence in Pahoa, the largest town in Big Island's isolated and mostly agricultural Puna district.
It took about 45 minutes for the 1,100-square-foot home to burn down, Oliveira said.
"The house has been destroyed," he said.
Earlier in the day, lava burned down a small corrugated steel storage shed on the property, Oliveira said. A garage or barn structure still remained on the property, but it was possible that the lava would also consume it.
The home's nearest neighbor is about a half-mile away, Oliveira said.
The lava from Kilauea volcano emerged from a vent in June and entered Pahoa Oct. 26, when it crossed a country road at the edge of town. Since then, it has smothered part of a cemetery and burned down a garden shed. It also burned tires, some metal materials and mostly vegetation in its path.
Firefighters will basically let a structure burn, but they will fight any wildfires that spread or threaten other structures, Oliveira said.
A relative of the home's owners, who live on the mainland, arrived at the site to watch the house burn, officials said. That family member drove from another part of the island about two hours away and used an iPhone to take video of the house burning.
The county estimates the value of the home at about $200,000, Oliveira said.
Oliveira said officials would make arrangements for homeowners to watch any homes burn as a means of closure and to document the destruction for insurance purposes.
The leading edge of the molten rock had stalled Oct. 30, but lava was ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)
Oct 28 2014
A British train station plagued by reports of hauntings has hired a "supernatural liaison officer" to deal with complaints of nuisance apparitions.
Chiltern Railways announced Nick Rees, 58, has been hired to serve as the "supernatural liaison officer" for the Leamington Spa, England, station, which was built in the 1800s and has been the subject of numerous ghost encounter reports from passengers and staff.
"I get on with people and I can make anyone smile. I suppose that's why I can go about my duties as a supernatural liaison officer. I respect them and they respect me," Rees said.
"One of the haunted areas is a disused basement on platform three which has a partially blocked off staircase that seemingly leads to nowhere," he said. "The other area is the upstairs office building where staff regularly see and hear things including doors slamming and electrical equipment turning on and off."
Stephen Herbert, a security officer working the night shift at Leamington Spa, said ghosts are a fact of life at the station.
"Leamington Spa station is one of the most haunted places I have been to and I've been to many," he said. "I often see and hear ghosts on both platforms but from what I have seen they are nice ghosts and have good energy."
Oct 23 2014
CHENGDU, China, Oct. 22 (UPI) -- A woman getting over a breakup in China nursed her broken heart by spending a week eating chicken and sleeping at a 24-hour KFC near her home.
Tan Shen, 26, of Chengdu, said she decided to stop into the KFC at the train station near her home shortly after she and her boyfriend broke up and she ended up staying at the fast food restaurant for a week.
"I hadn't planned on staying there long, I just wanted some chicken wings," she said. "But once I got in there and started eating I decided I needed time to think."
Tan said she decided to end her weeklong stay at the eatery and catch the next train toward her parents' house when she started attracting attention from local media.
"And I was getting sick of the taste of chicken so there was no point in staying there anymore," she said.
Jiang Li Lung, a worker at the train station KFC, said it took some time before employees noticed the woman wasn't leaving.
"At first no one really noticed her," the worker said. "But after a few days I began thinking she looked really familiar. Then I realized we had been serving her for the past three days and that she hadn't actually left."
Jiang said workers decided to allow Tan to stay, as she wasn't causing a disturbance and was paying for her meals.
"She was after all a paying customer, even if a bit of an odd one," he said.
Oct 23 2014
oys R Us has responded to calls from Florida mothers and has removed Breaking Bad dolls from the shelves.
The dolls are based on the series about Walter White, a high school chemistry teacher who turns into a crystal meth dealer, and his sidekick Jesse Pinkman.
The figures have a detachable bag of cash and a bag of methamphetamines.
The toy company said the dolls are being removed immediately from its website and US stores.
"Let's just say, the action figures have taken an indefinite sabbatical," Toys R Us said in a statement.
The retailer had maintained that the figures were sold in limited quantities in the adult-action-figure area of its stores.
However, a petition launched on change.org last week said the dolls are a "dangerous deviation from their family-friendly values".
"While the show may be compelling viewing for adults, its violent content and celebration of the drug trade make this collection unsuitable to be sold alongside Barbie dolls and Disney characters," the mother, identified as Susan Schrivjer, wrote.
Bryan Cranston, the actor who played White, responded to the controversy, tweeting, "I'm so mad. I am burning my Florida mom action figure in protest."
The debate has also spurred die-hard adult figure collectors to rally behind Toys R Us.
Daniel Pickett, of Manhattan Beach, California, launched a petition on change.org in favour of the toy seller keeping the dolls. So far, it has collected nearly 3,000 signatures.
Oct 23 2014
A nurse at a Los Angeles hospital took a photo of a woman who gouged out her own eyes with pencils, and the patient sued the hospital and its administrators after the picture went viral on the Internet, her attorney said on Wednesday.
The plaintiff, who is not named in the lawsuit, was treated at Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center in 2012 after she tried to commit suicide by jamming the pencils through her eyes at another facility and was rushed to the hospital, her lawyer, Douglas Johnson, said.
The injury left the woman blind, according to the lawsuit, filed on Monday in Los Angeles Superior Court.
The as-yet unidentified nurse took the photograph of the patient with the "intact pencils sticking out of her eyes," then shared the unauthorized picture with another person, who passed the image to Joshua Shivers, the lawsuit said.
Shivers, in turn, used his mother's computer to post the image to a "shock" website, the suit stated, adding that the photo has since been viewed more than 192,000 times. The specific website to which it was posted was not disclosed.
"Everybody knows that as soon as someone gets their hands on something like this, it goes viral and the harm is done," said Douglas, who specializes in privacy cases.
Douglas said that before filing the lawsuit against the medical center and Los Angeles County officials who administer the hospital, he asked them to have the picture taken down from the Web by exercising a copyright they hold over photo, since it was taken in their facility.
County spokesman David Sommers said officials are investigating the allegations in the lawsuit, and he declined to comment further.
The lawsuit also names as defendants Joshua Shivers and his mother, Linda. They could not be reached for comment.
The woman who blinded herself has since received psychiatric ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)
CLEARWATER, Fla. – Police say a Clearwater woman set her boyfriend on fire during an argument after a night of drinking.
According to police, 23-year-old Melissa Dawn Sellers doused Carlos Ortiz Jr. with nail polish remover early Wednesday and then ignited him with either a lighter or burnt cigarette.
The 42-year-old Ortiz was taken to Tampa General Hospital in critical condition. Police say he has burns on his face, chest and shoulders.
Sellers left the scene before police arrived, but returned and was arrested. She's charged with attempted murder.
Authorities say she is still being interviewed at the police station and will be booked into jail later Wednesday. It wasn't known whether she has an attorney or what she and her boyfriend were arguing about.
A man was apprehended after he scaled a White House fence Wednesday night, the latest security breach at a time when the Secret Service faces increased scrutiny over its ability to protect the president and his residence.
The man, identified by authorities late Wednesday as Dominic Adesanya, 23, of Bel Air, Md., was caught on the North Lawn shortly after he made it over the fence around 7:15 p.m. He was subdued by armed officers and several guard dogs, and was then led through the northwest gate in handcuffs.
President Obama was present at the White House on Wednesday night, though the jumper didn't make it anywhere near the building.
Charges against Adesanya were pending Wednesday night. He was unarmed at the time of his arrest. Two Secret Service K-9 dogs were taken to a veterinarian for injuries sustained during the incident.
Wednesday's incident comes after a series of embarrassing incidents for the Secret Service, whose director, Julia Pierson, resigned earlier this month after a series of security lapses.
Earlier this week, the arraignment of Omar Gonzalez, who allegedly entered the White House after scaling a fence on the north lawn last month, was delayed by a federal judge because of questions about his mental competence to stand trial.
He was brought to court to enter a not-guilty plea to a six-count grand jury indictment accusing him of carrying a knife into the presidential mansion and assaulting two Secret Service officers.
After he was apprehended in the White House on Sept. 19, Gonzalez told a Secret Service agent that he was concerned that the atmosphere was collapsing and needed to get the information to the president so that he could get the word out.
Following his arrest, Gonzalez consented to a search of his car, which contained hundreds of rounds of ammunition, two hatchets and a machete.
The grand ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)