DENVER –  A Denver sheriff's deputy caught on video provoking a fight with an inmate by using a taekwondo kick has been suspended for 90 days.

The Denver Post reported Wednesday it obtained a disciplinary letter saying Roberto Roena received his suspension July 29 for the April 2013 fight with inmate John Cardenas.

Investigators determined Roena provoked the fight after Cardenas taunted him. Roena is seen throwing a fully extended sidekick toward the inmate's head before putting him in a headlock.

After the fight, Roena wrote in a mandatory report that Cardenas was the aggressor and he threw the kick to defend himself. But investigators said in the letter the inmate did not initially pose a threat.

Attempts by the Post to reach Roena's attorney were unsuccessful.

Fox News

read full article...


When 11-year-old Grace Karaffa was told she couldn't use ChapStick at her Virginia elementary school, the girl -- who'd been prohibited from using it for years to treat her dry, bleeding lips -- decided she'd had enough.

The fifth-grader at Stuarts Draft Elementary School created a petition and presented her case before the Augusta County school board last week, arguing that a ban on the most commonly used remedy to treat chapped lips was "inappropriate," her father told FoxNews.com.

"Grace was told in the second grade she couldn't use ChapStick, but we didn't look into why," David Karaffa said. "When Grace asked if she could use ChapStick while out in the cold last year, she was told again, 'No, you're not allowed.'"

Her lips then started to bleed in class, according to her father, but the girl was still refused ChapStick by a teacher who said it was against school policy. Grace was forced to go into the bathroom and wet her lips to relieve the cracking and bleeding, Karaffa said.

"They told her at the time that some kids might be allergic to ChapStick," he said.

When Grace started the fifth-grade last month, she decided she'd approach the matter in a way most 11-year-olds would not -- delivering a carefully outlined speech before the school board in support of overturning the ban.

"She said, 'Dad, I want to get rid of this ChapStick ban thing.' I said, 'Okay, you have to speak to your teacher and the principal, who both advised she write a letter to the Augusta County school board," he said.

Following her speech, Grace was cross-examined, her father said -- with one board member asking the girl if using ChapStick at school might be seen as a distraction.

"She said, 'I think it would be more distracting to have bleeding lips while I'm doing ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)

read full article...


A prophetic warning from then-President George W. Bush before he left office about what would happen if the U.S. withdrew troops from Iraq too soon is getting new attention in light of the Islamic State’s gains, as each of his predictions appears to be coming true.

Bush made the remarks in the White House briefing room on July 12, 2007, as he argued against those who sought an immediate troop withdrawal.  

“To begin withdrawing before our commanders tell us we are ready would be dangerous for Iraq, for the region and for the United States,” Bush cautioned.

He then ticked off a string of predictions about what would happen if the U.S. left too early.

“It would mean surrendering the future of Iraq to Al Qaeda.

“It would mean that we’d be risking mass killings on a horrific scale.

“It would mean we allow the terrorists to establish a safe haven in Iraq to replace the one they lost in Afghanistan.  

“It would mean we’d be increasing the probability that American troops would have to return at some later date to confront an enemy that is even more dangerous.”

Bush speechwriter Marc Thiessen says all these predictions have come true.

“Every single thing that President Bush said there in that statement is happening today,” he told Fox News.

To Bush’s first warning, the Islamic State terror group is effectively the successor to Al Qaeda in Iraq – and they’ve overrun several major cities in Iraq’s north while claiming broad swaths of territory in Syria. Further, the group has been behind mass killings of Iraqi civilians as well as the recent execution by beheading of two American journalists.

The Obama administration has warned that the group’s violence threatens to approach genocide levels.

Though President Obama says combat troops will not be returning to fight in Iraq, American troops are nevertheless returning ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)

read full article...


Fake casts for pretending you have an injured arm to evade having to help prepare holiday meals have become brisk sellers in South Korea ahead of the Chuseok festival.

"We have been selling this for 10 years now, but sales increased drastically starting last week," said a sales manager at an online vendor who declined to be identified.

Both men and women were buying the bogus casts, he said.

During Chuseok, a three-day thanksgiving holiday, women traditionally do most of the work in preparing and cooking elaborate ceremonial dishes while the men of the family chat, drink and watch television.

The holiday gender divide is so entrenched that it has spawned the term "daughter-in-law holiday syndrome", with many young women suffering post-holiday stress and fatigue.

But getting away with the phoney cast ruse may be difficult this year after several media outlets reported on brisk sales of the devices in the run-up to the holiday starting on Sunday.

Data from the Ministry of Gender, Equality, and Family in 2010 showed only 4.9 percent of people surveyed said both genders shared holiday chores, while the rest said women do most of the work.

"Although an increasing number of women are actively engaged in economic activities, a perception remains that only women are responsible for holiday preparation," said Na-Young Lee, a sociologist at Chung-Ang University.

"We need to try to understand that both men and women are equal beings in working and raising children in a family," she said.

Reuters

read full article...

A doctor who became infected with Ebola while working in Liberia -- the third American aid worker sickened with the virus -- arrived Friday at a Nebraska hospital for treatment.

Officials at the Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha have said Dr. Rick Sacra, 51, will be treated at the hospital's 10-bed special isolation unit on the seventh floor, the largest of four such units in the U.S.

Sacra, from the Boston area, headed to Liberia after hearing that two other missionaries were sick. He served with the North Carolina-based charity SIM. Sacra delivered babies but was not involved in the treatment of Ebola patients, so it's unclear how he became infected with the virus that has killed about 1,900 people.

Local media reported shortly after 6 a.m. that a plane carrying Sacra landed at Offutt Air Force Base, south of the Omaha suburb of Bellevue. He arrived at the hospital in an ambulance about 40 minutes later, but media were unable to see Sacra as he was hustled into the facility.

Dr. Phil Smith, medical director of the Omaha unit, said a team of 35 doctors, nurses and other medical staffers will provide Sacra with basic care, including ensuring he is hydrated and keeping his vital signs stable.

The team is discussing experimental treatments, including using blood serum from a patient who has recovered from Ebola, Smith said.

"We've been trying to collect as much information on possible treatments as we can," Smith said.

There are no licensed drugs or vaccines for the disease, but about half a dozen are in development. None has been tested on humans, but an early trial of one vaccine began this week in the United States.

Much attention has focused on the unproven drug ZMapp, which was given to seven patients, two of whom died. But the limited supply is now exhausted ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)

read full article...


 Police are investigating after pills were found among Jelly Tots at a sweet factory in Newcastle.

Staff at the Nestle factory in Fawdon discovered the unidentified pink tablets on the production line, reports the Evening Chronicle.

Police were spotted carrying away packets of sweets seized as evidence from a store at the plant after the batch was found to be contaminated.

A Nestle spokesman said: "The incident involved the discovery, in product prior to packing, of a standard prescription tablet, commonly prescribed to both adults and children.

"We can confirm that due to our rigorous quality procedures and immediate action, the incident was isolated and contained within our control."

As well as Jelly Tots, other popular brands manufactured at the plant include Fruit Pastilles, Rolo, Yorkie, Drifter and Caramac.

Orange

read full article...


A Texas couple has filed a lawsuit against the owners of a Fort Worth-area day care center seeking $1 million damages from the facility for duct-taping their 2-year-old son to a mat because he was unruly at nap time, their lawyer said on Wednesday.

Kristi and Brad Galbraith are suing for fraud and negligence in the incident that occurred in June at the Heart2Heart Montessori Academy in Willow Park.

"This is a parent's worst nightmare," Dallas attorney Jeff Rasansky said.
 
 

"Parents take a leap of faith to entrust their children to the care of someone else, and it is extremely upsetting when something like this happens to toddlers, who are too young to speak up for themselves."

The day care center was not immediately available for comment but has said it is cooperating with authorities.

"The staff and I have the best interest of the children and parents as our highest priority," it said in a statement in June.

Reuters

read full article...


JACKSONVILLE, Fla., Aug. 28 (UPI) -- Ashley Habat is angry after a post on her private Facebook page resulted in the expulsion of Will, her 4-year-old son, from Sonshine Christian Academy.

She posted a complaint on her Facebook page saying the school did not notify her about picture day for her son and rhetorically questioned the intelligence of the staff. The post was on her private page, but she made one mistake: she tagged the school in the piece.

The school then expelled Will and accused her of "sowing discord," which Habat promised not to do when she signed a handbook upon Will's enrollment.


UPI

read full article...




VANCOUVER, British Columbia –  A bus carrying Asian tourists rolled over on a mountain highway in British Columbia on Thursday, leaving dozens of people injured, six of them critically, police say.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police Sgt. Norm Flemming said Thursday that all 56 passengers were injured in the bus crash, which happened about 18 miles south of Merritt, British Columbia.

Police say along with the six in critical condition, 15 more have serious injuries.

Fox News

read full article...


NEW YORK –  A rare, nearly flawless copy of Superman's comic-book debut has sold for a super-powered price: $3.2 million.

New York comics dealers Stephen Fishler and Vincent Zurzolo said Monday they submitted Sunday's record-setting bid in the eBay auction for Action Comics No. 1, the 1938 book in which the superhero first appeared. It's believed to be the highest price ever paid for a comic book, surpassing $2.1 million for a similarly high-quality copy of the same book in 2011.

"It's hard to believe that a kid's 10-cent comic could be worth that much money, but it is Superman. That's an iconic thing," Fishler said. "It's the first time anybody saw what a superhero was like."

EBay confirmed the price but said it couldn't yet disclose the buyer's name.

Created by Cleveland teenagers Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, Action Comics No. 1 introduces the Man of Steel's Kryptonian backstory, earthly role as reporter Clark Kent and identity as a champion of the oppressed. It's seen as the dawn of the comic book superhero, paving the way for a roster of now-famous characters.

About 100 to 150 copies are believed to exist, only a handful of them in top condition. The book just sold got a seldom-seen 9.0 on a 10-point scale used to measure vintage comic books' condition.

It was kept for decades in a cedar chest in the West Virginia mountains by a man who had bought it off a newsstand, seller Darren Adams recently told The Washington Post. Adams, a Federal Way, Washington-based collectibles dealer, didn't immediately return a call Monday from The Associated Press.

After the original owner died, a collector bought it from his estate and built a similar cedar chest to store it, Adams told the Post.

Fishler and Zurzolo own ComicConnect.com, which auctioned the 2011 record-setter and a slightly less well-preserved ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)

read full article...